Eden District Council
Search our Site

Object or comment on a current planning application

You can comment on or object to any planning application, whether it directly affects you or not, even if you haven't received a letter notifying you of the application.

The first thing you need to is to check the plans, either:

to find out if there is anything if you want to comment / object to.

Why should I object / comment on an application?

If you have strong feelings for or against the application you should make them known. To be considered your comment or objection must be on planning grounds.

How long do I have to object or comment on an application?

You have 21 days from the date the site notice is displayed at the site.

I want to object / comment to an application

We will only consider comments or objections that are 'material' and relevant to planning. For example:

  • Principle - If you feel that the very nature of the proposal is inappropriate and that the use of land/property should not change.
  • Overlooking - The proposal would lead to previously private areas being overlooked.
  • Overshadowing - The height or proximity of the development would be such that unreasonable overshadowing would occur.
  • Disturbance - There would be unacceptable intrusion in the form of noise nuisance, general disturbance, odour, etc.
  • Overbearing - The scale of the works means that the property/premises has an oppressive impact on surrounding areas/houses.
  • Out-of-character - If the design of the development, its scale and use, is such that it appears to be out-of character with its surroundings.
  • Road Safety - The development may lead to a significant impact upon road safety.

We will not consider:

  • issues covered by other legislation;
  • encroachment onto another persons land;
  • loss of value to a property, loss of view, and potential difficulties in property maintenance;
  • private interests of objectors, the effect of the proposal on property values and competition between rival companies.

You can find out more about commenting on a proposed development by going to having your say on the Planning Portal.

How can I object /comment?

You must put your comments/objections in writing you can:

What happens to my objection / comment?

We will let you know when we have received your objection / comment. If you have objected we will send you a letter, inviting you to speak at the planning committee meeting.

Who will see my objection / comment?

Your comment/objection will be placed on the planning file and be available for anyone to see.

How do I know my view will be taken into account?

Your views will be considered and all comments/objections will be summarized in the report on the application.

Who will make the decision on the application?

Most applications are decided by planning officers who have been given delegated powers to do so. However some applications will be decided by planning committee.

Can I speak at the Planning Committee meeting?

Yes, if you have requested to do so by returning the slip attached to the letter you received either by email planning.services@eden.gov.uk or by post.

What decision can be made?

  • Approved, possibly with conditions
  • Refused
  • Deferred to enable amendments or further information to be submitted
  • Deferred to enable the Planning Committee to visit the site.

How will I know the outcome for planning applications

A copy of the decision notice will be published on the planning application register.

For further information:

  • Contact: Duty Planning Officer
  • Hours available: 10am and 1pm - Monday to Friday
  • Telephone 01768 817 817
  • In person: Mansion House.

If you wish to contact a specific officer see contact development management.

Was this page helpful?